Monday, March 17, 2008

Do I need to "always be right?"

Writer Isabel Wolseley says, "I'm a placid, get-along-with-everybody person. But that changed when my friend and I had a disagreement. I told her I was right, and why, and others commended me for having been right. The trouble is, I didn't feel any better...I felt worse. 'Lord,' I prayed, 'You know I was right, so why do I feel so terrible?' He answered 'Yes, you were right, but your attitude was wrong!' I won a little victory in a difference of opinion, but I'd lost in the realm of friendship. I asked my friend to forgive me. She did, and our relationship was restored. Now, I can't even remember what the argument was about. It seemed so all-absorbing at the time. Not now."

Don't let your need to "always be right" disturb the atmosphere in your life- it's not worth it. Ask yourself, "What's my goal? To win the argument? To look good and sound smart?" At what cost?

No comments: